Apply for a FFAR Fellowship The application portal is OPEN! Click HERE to begin!
Two categories of Fellowship are available:
- Stipend + Professional Development Fellowship
- Professional Development Fellowship
Stipend + Professional Development Fellowship
Students accepted into the Stipend + Professional Development category will receive $50,000 each year to cover tuition, fees, stipend, and related costs. Students applying to this category should already have a defined research project and an industry or analogous sponsor (e.g., grower organization, foundation). The sponsor will commit $32,500 per year to the Fellowship, matched equally by FFAR. The total $65,000 is distributed as follows: $50,000 for student stipend tuition, fees, etc.; $5,000 for university overhead; $10,000 is retained by the FFAR Fellowship Program lead institution, North Carolina State University, for program management and costs of the professional development training including annual residential session. Student applicants to this category should be enrolled or accepted into PhD programs at one of the FFAR Fellows partner universities.
Professional Development Fellowship
Students accepted into the Professional Development category will be full members of the cohort and will receive support for professional development activities (valued at $10,000K/year). Students applying to this category should have a research or teaching assistantship, or other fellowship, to cover their tuition, stipend, and related costs. Professional Development category students should have a defined industry or analogous sponsor committed to providing $5,000 per year, with this amount matched by FFAR for the total $10,000/year. These funds are retained by the FFAR Fellowship Program lead institution, North Carolina State University, for program management and costs of the professional development training including annual residential session. Student applicants to this category should be enrolled or accepted by a PhD program at a U.S. or Canadian university.
Application and Eligibility
- Completion of a masters degree or one year of a PhD program by June 2019
- Acceptance in a PHD program by May 1, 2019
- Three years remaining in the degree program (Fall 2019 to Spring 2022)
- A confirmed PhD faculty advisor
- TOEFL Score indicating a minimum of 25/30 for listening, speaking, writing
- Confirmation of an industry sponsor (sponsors can include companies, foundations, NGOs, grower organizations)
- For stipend applications: Acceptance or current matriculation at an FFAR partner institution
- Residency or study visa
- Three-page statement of interest in the FFAR Fellows Program including research statement and career goals
- Student CV
- Faculty advisor’s CV
- Three or four reference letters. For students already in a PhD program, three letters are required, one of which should be from current advisor. For students with an MS but not currently in a PhD program, four letters are required, one of which is from the MS advisor and one from future PhD advisor.
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (Unofficial transcripts are allowed. Official transcripts may be requested if applicant is selected)
- Letter of financial commitment from the industry sponsor
Optional Supplemental Industry Sponsor application: Applicants are highly encouraged to seek an industry sponsor as far in advance of the application date as possible. Applicants without an identified industry partner can submit a Supplemental Industry Sponsor application between December 15, 2018 and one month prior to the application due date. The supplement and the student’s complete application will then be circulated to a set of agricultural and life science companies that have supported the FFAR Fellows program. Application materials for the supplement: A two-page research statement co-written with the student’s advisor. This research statement will be circulated, and thus should not reveal proprietary information. Please be aware that the likelihood of finding a suitable industry sponsor at this stage is low. Most successful applicants developed their applications in conjunction with their sponsors.
Application Portal and Timeline
The portal for receipt of applications will open by December 15, 2018. Complete applications must be received by February 15 for the Stipend + Professional Development category, and by April 15 for the Professional Development category. Fellows will be announced on March 15 or the Stipend + Professional Development category, and on May 1 for the Professional Development category.
To be considered for the fellowship students must submit all application materials by the due dates, including the confirmation of financial commitment from an industry or analogous sponsor. As noted above, for those without a sponsor a Supplemental Industry Sponsor application can be submitted in advance.For additional information, contact the FFAR Fellows Program Director, Dr. Rebecca Dunning.